Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Layover in Lima

With a 7 hr layover in Lima my curiosity and hopes for possible MFT connections gave me no choice but to check my bags in an airport locker and hit the city. Through the International MFT society, I had become a member of once I came to terms with my desire to attempt life elsewhere in the world, I met up with the founder of the Marriage and Family Therapy program in Peru. She ran the first clinic and licensing school in the city (an facility laced with 2 way mirrors and observatory closets, a therapists paradise). After a through interview and tour of the facilities we transfered from interview mode to colleague mode and shared our therapy experiences and cultural struggles over a fluffy pisco sour and fresh ceviche at the end of a pier that transported me strait back to the Santa Monica coast line of LA.

During my 7 hrs in Lima, Peru I saw no ruins, historical landmarks, grand palaces, government buildings, or cathedrals. But I could not think of a better way to have spent those 7 hrs than sipping piscos on a pier sharing a joint passion for serving families with a colleague in the opposite hemisphere. It was the most at home I've felt in the last 6 months.



piscos on the pier paired with peruvian ceviche


a coast line like home



No comments:

Post a Comment