Sunday, January 29, 2012

job #3: telemarketing, outsourcing, ruining peoples dinner...whatever you'd like to call it

So un-beknowinst to me, after packing my bags and heading south I came to the quick realization that indeed the seasons are opposite south of the equator and thus meaning I have gifted myself a year of endless summer without planning it. They make movies about this stuff!

Unfortunately in movie land they don't have to have a job and some how saved enough money to live carelessly. After receiving my license to practice counseling I wasn't feeling the pressure of an empty pocket to land a job but rather the pressure of my ingrained need to be productive with my life. And since I made the move to Buenos Aires mid summer vacation all my job leads were also on vacation. But, the productive bone in my body was antsy so I hit craigs-list and nailed the first job I applied to without truly knowing what it was I was signing up for. I showed up for work on the first day to a sky scraper, my office on the 20th floor with a view of the river...first time i'd seen an expanse sense my arrival here. Right then and there, it didn't matter what my work entailed I needed this view! I needed this expanse! The city walls had been closing in on me so the reminder that large bodies of water and expanses beyond the eye still do exist was key to my survival.

Still basking in the bliss of the vista I signed up for shifts that coincided with my spanish classes in the morning, not realizing that simultaneously I had signed up to be that mid-dinner phone call that call trying to convince you that we aren't a sales call but rather from a promotional department wanting to give you something for free that is just too good to be true. Daily I'm amazed at how many people actually stay on the phone with me, it might be my in the moment southern accent that wins their ears, who knows. All I know is that it's giving me some extra money in the pocket to support my travels around Brazil with Bibby in February, the prospects of moving into my own apartment, afterwards, and some friends to explore Buenos Aires with.


first sunset ive seen in two months, ive seen more sunrises from nights out than sunsets. But with my new job times are a changing! sunsets here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment