Monday, September 10, 2012

Five senses of Returning Home


Exactly 1 year after saying farewell to the west coast waves and beginning my journey to who knew where at the time, I found myself back where I started...Sunset Beach, North Carolina.



Sight: smiling faces of family and friends that have known me from the time when "running away" meant camping out in the tree in my front yard until dinner was on the table and a good time was collecting cicada skins and cheering Leslie on to kiss frogs.....Home!



Smell: Nothing like waking up the smell of  Uncle Donnie brewing coffee and frying bacon in the wee hours, escalating humidity in the air as a storm rolls in, the burn of gun powder from 4th of July fireworks, the first sniff of Tennessee moon shine singeing your nose hairs.


Taste: The spicy shrimp boil for dinner turned shrimp and grits for breakfast,  hush puppied served with every meal, cold Yuengling on the beach during a corn hole tournament, and fried polenta balls (can't get more southern than that!)


Sound: Generations laughing together...


Touch: cool wet sand for sunset walks, final full body immersion in rolling waves after 6 months of land dwelling, hugs (as many as possible), and knowing that no matter where I go I will always have my family and friends to enjoy life with. 
 



 Thanks to all of yall for the perfect taste of home!


*shout out to Mr Bishon for being an an avid blog follower and giving us Sharon who always brings the extra smiles





























No comments:

Post a Comment